Wednesday, August 20, 2008

August 20, 08 Waiting...alone.

My honey left me today. I knew this day would come but I cried anyway. I'm OK now but my eyes are swollen and I'm a bit tired...and alone. And I can't find my phone charger. Tomorrow I will go to a Wal Mart or a phone store and get one. God forbid I wouldn't be able talk to him... or anyone. That would be real isolationism, i.e. torture.

As students, we have been assigned what are called SDMs, student driver managers, to help us with any issues we might have including issues with our trainers. I called my SDM around 4:00 to ask how late at night should I expect to get a call from someone about a trainer for me. He didn't answer that question, instead he told me that I had a trainer assigned to me and I should be expecting a call from her. Well, it is now 9pm and I am thinking sleep would be a good thing. At this point, I think I will get a call tomorrow but, funny, I packed everything 'cept my 'puter and put it in the car already and I've already been back down to bring some stuff back up (second floor, of course).

I've been kinda of tense about getting this phone call that is going to send me on my way. There have been a few times today when someone has called me but my phone didn't ring and also did not show that I missed the call. I don't want to be considered missing in action and fired before I even start. But they said they would call the room, too and there is no message waiting. OK, tomorrow then, I'm resigned.


Joe and I went over to Werner today to check out their facilities, do some laundry, and meet our SDMs. That was when Joe was told that his time was up. Two hours later he was gone. I kinda thought that's how it would happen for me too but, no. I'm still here. Well, that's OK, too, cuz I had just come back from Whole Foods Market and had dinner and breakfast in a bag. When I was told I had been assigned to a trainer my first thought was, "is all of this food going to fit in her cooler?" So I ate my salad and I will have my fruit salad in the morning and that should reduce the amount of "stuff" I bring on her truck. I do not want to impose.

I have heard from Joe a couple of times since he left (thank goodness) and sooner than I had thought I would, so that was nice. He said it was much better driving a fully loaded tractor/trailer, much smoother. I asked him if it was quiet in the cab and he told me, "yes, much quieter than the trucks we used to train in". He also said the AC worked just fine as I sit in the room with no AC on, just the windows open and the fresh air coming in.

I guess I'll go down to the car and get my comfies and turn in for the night. I need to be refreshed and I'm actually relieved that I am not (I think) going to be asked to drive tonight. Students can't drive between midnight and 6am for the first two weeks. I'm relieved but I wished I had had more of a head's up, ya know. Will post when I can~~~

No comments: